07/20/22 • 34 min
After years go by with little news about Sherri’s case, law enforcement makes a huge breakthrough that blows everything wide open. When DNA from the clothing Sherri was wearing in captivity shows that it belonged to an unknown male, the police use some of the same methods used to crack cold cases like the “Golden State Killer” and ultimately trace the sample to Sherri Papini’s ex-boyfriend. After authorities interview the Ex, they learn a stunning revelation: Sherri’s kidnapping was all made up...
- Betterhelp Try BetterHelp online therapy! HOAX listeners get 10% off their first month. Betterhelp.com/HOAX
- June's Journey Download June’s Journey on the app store and start playing for free today!
Audio clips featured in this episode can be found here:
- Good Morning America interview with Sheriff Michael Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxa0wkOCEj0
3:25-3:42 and 3:59-4:37
- Sound bite from Sherri’s lawyer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8wnIP7RfM
Sources for this episode:
- Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2020/06/30/genetic-genealogy-golden-state-killer/?sh=487192cc5a6d
- Department of Justice / United States District Court: https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1479901/download
- Good Morning America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxa0wkOCEj0
Jessica Devine and Abby Schreiber
Follow Abby Schreiber at @abbyschreiber28 and Jessica Devine/CAKE Media at @cakemediastudio on Instagram
Written and hosted by:
Executive produced by:
Sound design and editing by:
Original art by:
out of 5
eg., What part of this podcast did you like? Ask a question to the host or other listeners...
Generate a badge
Get a badge for your website that links back to this